- 2013 - present: Posdoctoral researcher in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Automation and the COMP Centre of Excellence in Computational Nanoscience, both at Aalto University, Finland.
- 2009 - 2013: PhD in Condensed-Matter Physics, Tyndall National Institute, University College Cork, Ireland, under the supervision of Prof. Eoin P. O'Reilly. Thesis title: Theory of elasticity and electric polarization effects in the group-III nitrides.
- 2009: Short-term collaborations with Profs. Inocencio R. Martín and Rafael Sala-Mayato at Universidad de La Laguna, Spain.
- 2003 - 2009: Licenciado en Física (Graduate degree in Physics), Universidad de La Laguna, Spain. Final year research project: Computational simulation of continuous measurement of a quantum particle (supervision by Prof. Santiago Brouard).
- 2005 - 2006: Participant in the European Union's Erasmus exchange program, University of Padova, Italy.
- 1997 - 2003: Secondary-school education, IES Rafael Reyes, Cartaya, Spain.
I have acted as referee for the following journals:
- Applied Physics Letters
- Computational Materials Science
- European Physical Journal - Applied Physics
- Journal of Applied Physics
- Journal of Computational Electronics
- Journal of Materials Science
- Physica Status Solidi B
- Superlattices and Microstructures
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry
And the following research council:
Most of my work involves performing density functional theory calculations, for which I have often used the VASP package and, more recently, also GPAW. I have written a number of codes for specific purposes, usually in Fortran90, including a tool for the calculation of local electric polarization and my HUSH code for strain calculation in heterostructures. See especially my DoSPT code and MattPy material tensor Python routines.
- Fortran90 coding
- Linux shell bash-scripting
- Python scripting language
- VASP (density functional theory package)
- GPAW (density functional theory)
- Atomic Simulation Environment (ASE)
- Gromacs (classical molecular dynamics)
- GULP (classical force field package)
- Mathematica (symbolic math calculator)
- Latex (scientific typesetting)
- Gnuplot (plotting program)
Working knowledge of:
- PHP and HTML web design
- Fluent in English, Spanish and Italian. Basic French.
- 2017: Academy of Finland Postdoctoral research grant (PI on computational electrochemistry project, 3 years, 281,190 Euro) - read decision.
- 2013: Granted the BOC Ireland Award as co-runner up for my work as PhD student in the Tyndall National Institute.
- 2011: UK Nitride Consortium student bursary (report on ICNS-9 available here).
- 2003: Qualified to National Stage of maths and chemistry Spanish Olympiads as third and first, respectively, in the regional stage (Huelva province).
- The Licenciado degree used to be the higher-education degree previous to PhD, in place in Spain prior to the implementation of the Bologna Declaration. Presently, it has been substituted by a Bachelor + Master scheme. Note that Spanish degrees do not follow the British classification (class) scheme.